Thursday, August 27, 2015

Will you marry-(nade) me?

Thank you for tolerating my bad pun of a title and still clicking on to read. Bless your blogging, little soul.


I am a type-A perfectionist. I like to clean often, I track my milage in a day, and I live for color coding. Except in the kitchen. I grew up sitting at the kitchen counter, watching my mother whip together the most amazing meals, but never once did that woman lift a measuring cup.

Tonight, as we were away for over a week, I had limited dinner ingredients and needed to get creative come 6 o'clock. Bless the intuition of my mother, I just may have learned a thing or two from her.


Here are two different chicken marinade recipes. You should be warned that each ingredient measurement could include "ish" at the end. Since this was just an experiment with luckily successful results, I'm going to give myself a hearty pat on the back.


Marinade 1:

6 tablespoons of honey
4 tablespoons of light mayo
1.5 teaspoons of Cajan Mustard. (This was actually just a tiny jar that came in a fruit basket that we had laying around. I bet spicy yellow mustard or Dijon would be good too.)
A splash of lemon juice
A larger splash of soy sauce

I let a few chicken tender strips (the style of cut, not breaded chicken tenders) marinate in this for a while (i.e. cleaned and studied until C came home and could grill them.) Then I had the master grill-man do his thing and wah-la! Dinner.


Marinade 2:

4 tablespoons of spice mustard
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
A few shakes of salt and pepper
3 teaspoons of olive oil.

Follow the same very precise and calculated directions listed for the first marinade.


Now, I've got to be honest, I'm pretty darn proud of how this turned out. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of times that my efforts do not yield such success,  (Read - baking...) but this one wasn't half bad!




Let me know how your meal is if your try these marinades out!

No comments:

Post a Comment